Special Master Calls for Help in Fighting Trump Mar-a-Lago Documents | Donald Trump News

Orenstein spent 16 years as a federal magistrate in the same Brooklyn courthouse where Dearie sits. Orenstein gained attention many years ago for his role in What Was Semi-sarcastically dubbed the “Magistrate’s Rebellion” — The flattering decisions of federal magistrate judges across the country questioning government strategy in warrant applications seeking electronic data.

In 2016, Orenstein released a controversial decision Rejecting the arguments of prosecutors that a two century old federal law Authorized the government to order Apple to assist in unlocking an iPhone used by an alleged drug dealer. The judge’s pro-secrecy stance in that case prompted the Court to appoint the Secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to a list of approved friends of the court who provide their perspective on surveillance requests.

Dearie proposed that the former magistrate, who has a top-secret clearance, be paid $500 an hour to work on the Trump documents case. The federal judge who named Dearie to Florida-based Eileen Cannon’s special master has previously ruled that Trump must bear all costs related to the review.

Dearie said in Thursday’s order that he would not be compensated for his work because he was still being paid his judge’s salary, but that expenses such as Orenstein’s fees should be paid in full and on time or to Trump. You may face court sanctions.

While the seven-page proposal features Diary’s name and a form of electronic signature in the special master released Thursday, metadata attached to the document indicates that Orenstein – who retired from court in 2020 – was involved in drafting it. Were. Dearie’s chambers did not immediately respond to a request for comment on whether Orenstein had helped prepare the motion to include her in the case.

Dearie’s plan, still subject to comment from the parties, gives Trump a September 30 deadline to indicate whether he disputes the FBI’s list that was seized in the search. Last month, Trump suggested that such tampering was likely, after the FBI refused to allow Trump’s lawyer to look into the discovery.

Trump wrote last on his Truth social media site, “The FBI and others in the federal government haven’t allowed anyone, including my lawyers, to live anywhere near areas that were rumored to be and would otherwise have been raided at Mar-a-Lago.” was seen during month. “Everyone was told to leave the premises, wanting to be left alone, without any witnesses to see what they were doing, taking or expecting, ‘planting’.”

Trump has offered no evidence of such tampering by the FBI, but Dearie’s plan says that if Trump’s team wants to stifle such a claim, someone may be subject to perjury, detailing the grounds for it. A statement has to be submitted under penalty.

The proposed plan calls for a review of more than 11,000 documents seized from Mar-a-Lago to be held in four batches. The first includes a small set of information that the Justice Department has already flagged as potentially subject to attorney-client privilege. Trump’s team has set a weekly deadline of October 14 to identify and interpret the allegedly privileged material. Prosecutors have a parallel deadline through October 21, with Dearie scheduled for October 31 to submit their recommendations to Cannon.

As of now, around 100 documents bearing various National Security Classification Marks seized during searches will not be part of the Special Master Process. Cannon ruled that they should be and turned down a request by prosecutors to carve those records.

But on Wednesday night, a federal appeals court sided with the Justice Department, ruling that the government’s overarching authority over classified information was a mistake for canon for Trump’s appointment, for including alleged secrets in the comprehensive review and Meanwhile off-limits for criminal investigators to put them on for them.

Trump’s lawyers have yet to indicate whether they plan to ask the Supreme Court to step in and restore Cannon’s original order.

The 11th US Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Boomerang against Trump and helped to inflict legal damages on one of his associates: MyPillow founder Mike Lindell.

Last week, the FBI used a search warrant to seize Lindell’s mobile phone as he waited at Hardy’s drive-thru in Mankato, Minn. Lindell filed suit in federal court in Minnesota on Tuesday, seeking a temporary restraining order that the government must stop access to. his phone and finally to return him.

However, a judge declined to order the sanctions Thursday, citing, among other things, the 11th Circuit’s ruling against Trump a day earlier.

Trump-appointed US District Court Judge Eric Tostrud said Lindell’s right to get his phone back “is not clear, and that is undermining things.” judge’s order Didn’t rule out the possibility that Lindell may be entitled to get his phone back, as both parties have a chance to develop their legal arguments in court filings.

Lindell’s phone appears to have been confiscated last year in connection with an ongoing investigation into alleged tampering with voting machines in Colorado.

Leave a Comment